We do not have a public developer mailing list (yet). You can reach the ChildCount+ developers on our internal mailing list at dev at mvpafrica dot org.
Repo and Branches¶
The ChildCount+ code repository is online here:
The installation and server configuration files for ChildCount+ installations are online here:
Stages and Versions
Different versions of the ChildCount+ code often require different server configurations. We refer to each successive server configuration as a “stage” while each release of the source code is a “version.” We use letters (A, B, C, ...) to refer to stages, and numbers (0, 1, 2, ...) to refer to versions. The version numbers reset with each stage.
So, if the latest code is
stageE-v1 and a developer
creates a release that does not require changes to the
server configuration, the next release will be
Afterwards, if the next release does require changes to
the configuration files, the release tag will be
If a software developer wants to create a new ChildCount+ feature, the process generally goes like this:
- Developer creates a new branch from
ccdev, let’s call this branch
- Developer does the work on the
- When the developer is satisfied that the Twitter feature works
as hoped, she merges
- Every few months, the release developer merges all of the changes
ccstable. The release developer tests all of these features and makes sure that the translations and localization works properly for French- and Tigrinya-speaking sites.
- The release developer adds a git tag of the format
Xis the stage code and
Yis the version number) to the
- If a new stage is being created: The release developer writes up a textual description of how to update the server to accommodate the new code and posts it on http://we.mvpafrica.org.
- The release developer pushes the
ccstablecode out to the sites. In MVP lingo, this is a “stage”.
We develop the documentation on the
ccdev branch, then
built HTML documentation files into the root of the
is a special branch for the GitHub Pages
feature. Files pushed there end up being served at
The documentation mirror at http://docs.childcount.org/
should copy the documentation from http://mvpdev.github.com/rapidsms/
after every commit to the GitHub repository.